Benjamin Franklin Ephriam Kellogg, was Florentine Erwin Kellogg's youngest brother. Benjamin, also called "Frank" by many, traveled to California with Florentine and Rebecca in 1846.
In his youth B.F.Kellogg received a limited education and was brought up to farm labor of the severest kind. In 1844, he with his two brothers, Philander and Florentine went to the Rocky Mountains in search of a silver mine.
While searching for the silver mine they were attacked by Pawnee Indians, stripped of their clothes and robbed of all they had with them. So reduced they had to eat walnuts and raw frogs.
The brothers were at one time separated from each other, and during this time Benjamin, in lieu of any kind of food, and on the verge of starvation, scratched the hair from his buffalo coat and ate the hide. In time, he was found by his brother, who had gone in search of help, in an almost dying condition, and was succored by some friendly Indians whom they chanced to meet.
On September 5, 1854, at White Sulpher Springs, he married Mary Orilla Lillie, who was born in Fulton County, Illinois, on July 15, 1832, a daughter of Luther and Orilla (Morgan) Lillie, natives of Connecticut. Their Marriage License
Her paternal grandfather, David Lillie, was also born in Connecticut, and settled first in New York, then in Ohio, and later in Indiana. In 1831 he located to Fulton county, Illinois, of which he was a pioneer and where he died at the age of eighty-two years. He served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War and the Black Hawk War.
Luthur Lillie was a farmer in New York, Ohio, and Illinois, and was also a millwright and machinist, and had shops in different places where he lived. He settled in Illinois in 1831 at a time when the Indians were numerous and troublesome. He died in 1837 and his wife passed away in 1833, the mother of fourteen children.
One son, Leonard G. Lillie, came to California in 1850 on his first overland trip and later died in Napa Valley. Two daughters, Mrs. Rosanna Evey and Mrs. Emeline Butler, came West in 1854 and 1855, respectively. (Emeline may have came with sister Mary Orilla in 1852 and Rosannah one or two years later, each with Leonard on his return trips.)
Miss Mary Orilla Lillie was reared in Illinois and attended school in a little log schoolhouse with slab benches, and later in a frame building. When she was twenty months of age, her mother died, and when she was seven her father passed away , and she went to live with a family named Breed.
From the first she was obliged to work hard between the rising and setting of the sun, so that school was a luxury, and leisure an unheard of commodity. In 1853 she undertook to accompany her brother, Leonard G. Lillie, his wife and their five children, and her sister, Mrs. Emeline Butler, to California. The experiences while crossing the plains are vividly recalled by Mrs. B.F.E. Kellogg at this day, and contained much interest and adventure. The ox-teams were outfitted at Farmington, Illinois, and they crossed the Mississippi at Burlington on May 3, 1853, thence took the Platte route and the Green River route to Humboldt (Fort Hall Trail) and the Southern pass route (over Carson Pass) to Sacramento and Napa Valley.
In the Napa Valley Leonard Gates Lillie returned, which he had first visited in 1850 when he took a five year lease on the BALE MILL. He had built and installed the great 36 foot water wheel for which the Mill is now famous.
Leonard G. Lillie, in 1852, purchased the site of a hot sulphur springs near St. Helena and here he built a small hotel resort of the type becoming popular with the well-to-do in San Franscisco across the bay, and he named his resort WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS.
Miss Mary Orilla Lillie lived here until her marriage in 1854, to Benjamin Franklin Ephriam Kellogg, "Frank".They were married at White Sulphur Springs on September 5, 1854 and first settled "Upper Napa Valley" (CALISTOGA) where they farmed and raised stock. Here several of their children were born.
Benjamin Franklin Ephriam and Mary Orilla (Lillie)Kellogg, from a history of early Orange County.
It seems eminently fitting that the names of the early pioneers of California should be perpetuated in such a manner that their labors, in the days of trials and hardships, may remain an inspiration and encouragement to the toilers of today. Great honor is due the names of those courageous men and women who braved the perils of the Overland Trail in their untiring efforts to blaze a path and establish a civilization for the generations to come. In California and Orange County, the names of Benjamin Franklin and Mary Orilla Kellogg stand out prominently.
By those who knew him during his active life, Mr. Kellogg is recalled as a man who contributed not a little to the permanent growth of the localities in which he elected to reside. No one knew better than he the terrors of the Overland Trail or more clearly won the right to be numbered among the most courageous of the western pioneers. He was born in Morgan County, Illinois, April 31, 1822, and was the youngest of six children. A descendant of a prominent New England family , his father, Elisha, was born in Massachusetts, and settled in
Genesee County, New York, where he was judge and sheriff. Upon removing to Morgan County, Illinois, he built the first house in the county and did farming and stock raising on a large scale. Later he moved to Jo Davies County, and there he died in 1844. He married Elizabeth Derrick, who was born in Connecticut, and died in Morgan County.
Arriving in Napa Valley Mr. B.F.E. Kellogg enlisted in General Fremont's Battalion and served for six months, and was honorably discharged at the San Gabriel Mission in April of 1847. As a veteran of the Mexican war, he received a pension of $8 per month.
For several years he engaged with varying success and failure in mining and later turned his attention to farming in the Napa Valley and then in the vicinity of St. Helena. May 21, 1869.
He removed to Anaheim, in the vicinity of which he purchased 640 acres of land. This land was improved from the rough, built up with residence and barns, fitted with wells and fences, and rendered generally habitable. While these improvements were being made the family lived in a tent. There were no houses between their place and Los Angeles, nor were there any towns to the south of them. Disaster followed in the wake of all this industry, for the grasshoppers and wild horses played havoc with the crops for three successive years. In time things brightened a little, and Mr. Kellogg became a prosperous , and a prominent factor in the general growth of this locality. He raised large numbers of stock, and engaged in the dairy business extensively.
Politically he became interested in the local undertakings of his party, and served with satisfaction as Coroner of Napa County, and as school trustee and in other official capacities in Los Angeles County.
The death of Mr. Kellogg, December 16,1890,
witnessed the passing of a thoroughly good man, and one who knew the value of opportunity and how to use it.
They had nine children.
1. Hiram Clay, 2., Mary E, wife of Byron O. Clark, 3., Erwin P. 4., Louisa J., Mrs. L.A. Evans, 5., Leonard G.
6., Edward T. 7.,Lillie M. married Dunlap, 8.,Effie Clare, became Mrs. Carl F. Raab, and 9., Carrie A. married Richard N. Bird.
Thirty-Three grandchildren, and twenty-five great-grand children.